Well, 2009 was not a good year for plumstead plums, well at least in my orchard anyway, the late frost zapped the spring blossoms with the result that I only got 6 victorias this year 🙁
On the plus side, the weather conditions this year have led to a bumper crop of wild blackberries, I have never seen so many on the hill, and whilst still a bit sharp tasting, and with sharp thorns for protection – I had a go at my first blackberry and apple pie of the summer today, and it goes like this:
- several handfuls of wild blackberries, washed to flush out insects (no pesticides then, could be organic).
- the same amount of apple slices.
- a pie dish.
- sugar to take the sharp edge off the berries (if they are really sweet then this could be skipped).
- pastry as you like it, I just mixed together 5 Oz butter with 4 Oz of plain flour and 2 tbsp water for 30 secs, and then added another 4 Oz flour to make the pastry for rolling out on top.
- bake for 20 minutes at 200º celcius, then about another 20 at 180º.
With this year’s yields looking so promising, i’m hoping to make jam next.